If you’ve never had the chance to make sausage at home, you wouldn’t believe the experience you’re missing out on. Not only is it incredibly easy, but sausage tastes fantastic and can be made with whatever meat you have on hand, from venison to elk to squirrel - even typical beef or pork. It’s a great way to add some variety to your normal routine. Seriously - who doesn’t love homemade sausage?
Just follow these steps to make sausage at home:
• Grind your meat using a meat grinder.
• Add sausage seasonings and water to your meat, then mix in a meat mixer or a large bowl.
• Feed your meat through a sausage stuffer and fill your casings - or use your grinder with stuffing tubes for this step .
• Close your casings using twine or hog rings.
• For smoked sausage, smoke in a meat smoker or cook in your oven until the internal temp reaches 165°F.
It’s as easy as that!
Here are 5 reasons to make your own sausage at home:
Taste: Your sausage will taste better. You can customize your preferred blend of spices and seasonings.
Quality: You’re choosing which cuts of meat you’re using. You will never wonder if a nose or ear or another unwanted part is in your sausage!
Health: You add as little or as much fat and salt to your sausage as you want. Plus, you’re not adding chemicals, additives, or preservatives.
Cost: When you make sausage yourself, your sausage is less expensive than mass-produced sausage.
Control: If someone else processes your game, then you have zero control over the processes they use.
And don’t forget - LEM has everything you need to get stuffing. You can also give us a call or shoot us an email if you get stuck or have some questions. Not only do we love sausage, but we make our own at home too. What are you waiting for? Have some fun and share your sausage with someone special!
Now let’s get stuffing!